Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
Putting people in a box based on their sex or race is just fundamentally wrong, and creates needless barriers.

I think we generally agree. But we still can't ignore some differences that are inherent to the hormones. Ultimately I don't actually care about sports (any of them), so it doesn't matter to me. But if, for example, the current Olympic men's power lifting champion has a gender change, recovered, and then entered the Olympics as a female, she would dominate. There is no natural-born female powerlifter that could compete. So it wouldn't be fair to all the women powerlifters out there. It would be the equivalent of taking a lifetime of steroids (i.e. testosterone) which a natural-born female would be excluded for doing.

And it wouldn't just be power lifting. What if Usain Bolt had a reassignment? Do you think any woman in the world could compete if he (now she) then entered the women's division?

Sure, women powerlifters or sprinters could beat me easily. No contest. But we're talking about competitive athletics; potentially the best in the world. At that level hormones count, and someone who grew up in a sea of testosterone will have an advantage over someone growing up in a sea of estrogen. Which is why they regulate (ban) hormones and steroids and other "dosing" protocols.

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.