Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

http://realestate.msn.com/buying/Article_usnews.aspx?cp-documentid=6441789>1=35000

Floridabuilder appears to be leaning towards bullishness again this week-I do not doubt his technical analysis, or knowledge of the industry, but I believe there are larger economic forces in play than a homebuilder's cash position.   I commented on his blog that I thought this was the beginning of storm, though I did not support my opinion very well.   I believe what differentiates this downturn from previous cycles is that it is being driven by declining home values at historically high employment levels and low interest rates.   Foreclosures are increasing at what was once considered "the natural rate of unemployment."   As unemployment rises in a slowing economy I am anticipating a continued increase in the rate of foreclosures, and an additional decline in property valves between 10 & 25%, depending on the area,  across the country. Instead of 6-9 months of a corrective cycle, my gut says 24 months, with the dust settling spring of 2010.

Quote from Edward Leamer from article referenced above:

"Of course, what's different this time around is that the downturn isn't playing out just in Los Angeles but is hitting almost every major metro area. Yet perhaps the greatest contrast with past housing downturns is that this one has come while jobs are plentiful. No housing bust in memory has come without corresponding job losses. This time, "there's a disconnect," Leamer says. "No one I know thought that we'd have two years of a housing correction without an economic recession."

This is not to say that I will not have periods of -300 bleeding shorts with WCI, HOV, & NVR, but I believe they will be short term spikes, with the overall trend a downward spiral with multiple bankruptcies. 

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.