Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Two parts to this, but the first one I don't think is possible. Let me set the scene here. My father is the one who taught me chess. Very analytical thinker like me, so he's good. But he's never read up on much or made an attempt to study the game, so as I was reading that book, I was progressively getting better than him. He's at the point where his goal has become to stalemate me because he thinks he can't win. He still beats me 33% of the time, so I don't know what he's talking about.

Anyway, we played when he was down visiting the other weekend, and it was by far the best game we've ever played. Ordinarily it takes us an hour or hour and a half to get through a game. This one took us over two hours. I was ahead most of the way through the game, but one bad move nearly killed me. After a little over the second hour, we came to a position such as the one in the diagram on the next post (I won't post it here cause of the streaming text). He and I stopped play for about 15 minutes to discuss the position. He maintained that the position was one which he could stalemate me because material was even and well guarded by both sides. I maintained that my bishop was dominant compared to a fairly pathetic knight, and would thereby be able to beat him in the end. I have two questions...

1) If black plays the perfect end-game, is there any way possible that white can stalemate this position? This is a serious question. My father maintained that this was a stalemate position for white if he played it without making a mistake the rest of the way. I claimed that it was a winning position for black. I won the game in the end, but I honestly am not 100% (though I'm about 98%) sure that this truly is a sure win for black.

2) If you can't figure out how to stalemate for white - which I'm guessing you won't because I really don't think there is a way to - then here's the real puzzle question. How should black procede?

I'll post the answer and the rest of my game between 24 and 48 hours from now...

Chris
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.