Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
$Q,

Good for you. Working toward veg*ism is great.

I'll tell you about dairy though. I was convinced to completely give it up after I ate some cheese at a conference which thought a veg option must be drowned in cheese. But, I was thankful that they even thought about the option and offered something, that I ate it.

Bad choice, on reflection. I hadn't eaten dairy for over six months at the time. I found I had gout. I had never experienced it before, but over the next four months I learned that even the smallest amount of dairy can kick off the gout. Water is an issue with gout as well. But, the main trigger for me is dairy -- especially cheese. So in nearly four years I may have had a half of an ounce of dairy and egg.

My wife who is pretty much veg* will still eat some tuna, but shies away from egg and dairy. She and I have learned it has a terrible effect on asthama (we both have it) and she learned what I knew from earlier days and that is dairy can drag one down. I think it is the sheer density of the food.

Ethical concerns are a big deal for me, but the health concerns are important as well. Some folk can handle the dairy with little or no ill effect, but some like DW and I have a far more difficult time of it.

Anyhow, those are our experiences. I think all have different experiences. But, I'll tell you the gout came out of the blue and knocked me upside the head like a ton of bricks. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone. Gout pain is right up there with ulcer pain. And ulcers and ethical concerns are what sent me away from meat. As I've noted before, I nearly bled out and decided I wouldn't see anything else die that I could live.

Well, this is my third shot at closing. I hope all finds you and everyone else well. I can't get here as much as I would like to these days.

Frolix8
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.