Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
aps or anyone else....

Is it possible to modify the cell coating of a bug like anthrax and hang, for example, a long chain molecule off that makes the strain easy to identify? That's done with explosives. I'm wondering if the same could be done with a bug.

Bueller? Anyone?

Rick
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Is it possible to modify the cell coating of a bug like anthrax and hang, for example, a long chain molecule off that makes the strain easy to identify? That's done with explosives. I'm wondering if the same could be done with a bug.

It would be trivial to insert a plasmid w/ a diagnostic DNA sequence into anthrax colonies. CDC could easily create a specific plasmid for each federally funded reasearch lab using anthrax and inject it into their strain before giving it to them along w/ the check. Don't know about dangling cell membrane labels.

Newspaper letters-to-the-editor and op-eds (including a woefully misinformed one by one of the original negotiators of the 1972 antibiowar treaty in yesterday's post) about checking anthrax inventories at research facilities are totally offbase. You can take a little, give it the right food, grow as much as you want in a matter of hours, and replace the amount you took (if it were even possible to accurately quantify amts in storage).
You can take a little, give it the right food, grow as much as you want in a matter of hours, and replace the amount you took (if it were even possible to accurately quantify amts in storage).

Heck, poke around outdoors long enough and just find fresh anthrax. It's not that rare in livestock, is it?

It would be trivial to insert a plasmid w/ a diagnostic DNA sequence into anthrax colonies.

Than I imagine it's been done. I'm wondering if this is why we haven't heard much blame for the anthrax on bin Laden and his goats. I know there is speculation ranging from right wing supremecists to drug lords, but I'll bet there is some hard data we don't know about.

Rick
No. of Recommendations: 2
Newspaper letters-to-the-editor and op-eds (including a woefully misinformed one by one of the original negotiators of the 1972 antibiowar treaty in yesterday's post) about checking anthrax inventories at research facilities are totally offbase. You can take a little, give it the right food, grow as much as you want in a matter of hours, and replace the amount you took (if it were even possible to accurately quantify amts in storage).

Onnnnne anthrax bacterium...
Twooooo anthrax bacteria...
Threeee anthrax bacteria...
Fouuuur anthrax bacteria...
Fiiiive anthrax bacteria...

--Pup
Heck, poke around outdoors long enough and just find fresh anthrax. It's not that rare in livestock, is it?

Nobody really knows, and it's sufficiently difficult to meaningfully sample bacteria 'cause they're so freaking small (and you can fit large pockets of them in areas that are small enough to be missed by sampling techniques that appear 'random' to human eyes) that still nobody knows just how many completely safe human noses might have the odd anthrax bacillus in them right now just 'cause it's, you know, out there.

Come visit lovely Minnesota! We just had a huge outbreak (biggest in 63 years) among the cattle stock in the NW part of the state.

Map: http://www.startribune.com/stories/1608/771392.html
Story: http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/771212.html

Of course, in the story they had to refute the possibility of this being a terrorist attack against our cattle.

--Pup
Than I imagine it's been done. I'm wondering if this is why we haven't heard much blame for the anthrax on bin Laden and his goats.

Two things; I do think it's a US-grown nutcase, but I also doubt that diagnostic tags have been added. Fairly authoritative people from NIH are finally getting heard from behind Tommy Thompson's bluster (he can't step down a minute to soon as far as I'm concerned), and I find it hard to believe that the scientists I've heard, umm, could be that circumspect as to hide something so basic from their public talks, no matter how many whitehouse monitors have their fingers on the button of their microphones. (anybody read W Safire's column in today's NYT about talking to a national security person but only w/ the approval of a whitehouse censor?)
(anybody read W Safire's column in today's NYT about talking to a national security person but only w/ the approval of a whitehouse censor?)

Blame that on Orin Hatch. But will they fire him? Utahans are almost as conservative as Idahoans.

Why wouldn't deadly bugs be tagged like explosives?

Rick
Fiiiive anthrax bacteria...

--Pup

Ooops! Mitosis!

Start your count over again!

I take it I'm not the only one annoyed by the constant media harping on the "Anthrax" story. In the one month since the first anthrax case was noted, we've had 4 deaths (including the first one that took everyone by surprise) and 12 who've contracted the disease.

Not to minimize anyone's death, but c'mon, this isn't exactly a massive wave of casualties. There are people out there freaking out about opening mail...heck, haven't we've had more million dollar lottery winners in the last month than we've had Anthrax cases?

Is it potentially very dangerous? Sure. Is it currently very dangerous? No. For a "weapon of mass destruction", it's been pretty pathetic.

Wonder what would happen if anthrax was found on lottery tickets?

-synchronicity
No. of Recommendations: 1
Synchronicity:
<Wonder what would happen if anthrax was found on lottery tickets?>

from the American remake of Waking Ned Devine:
'the good news is that you have the winning number'
'the bad news is you have inhalation anthrax'

Michael

Utahans are almost as conservative as Idahoans.

Rick

Hey, hey, only "Eastern Idahoans".

We here in the west are a hotbed of Liberal rationality. ;-)

Grew up in Eastern Idaho and remember the joke as;

Welcome to Utah, please turn your clock back 50 years.
Welcome to Eastern idaho, plese turn it back 100 years!

md (Escapee from conservative brainwashing experiements in I-Dee-Ho)

We here in the west are a hotbed of Liberal rationality. ;-)

Grew up in Eastern Idaho and remember the joke as;

Welcome to Utah, please turn your clock back 50 years.
Welcome to Eastern idaho, plese turn it back 100 years!

md (Escapee from conservative brainwashing experiements in I-Dee-Ho)

I've seen the word "moron" bandied about on this board quite a bit lately. Let me offer a variation on that word in reference to the boldface phrase in the first line above: oxymoron.

--fleg9bo, former loony lefty Berkeley student radical type who came to his senses