Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Back in 1998, when Ericsson finally threw in the towel on it's case against QCOM's CDMA patents, the stock went up $50. My initial reaction was that I should probably buy more (I already owned what counted for me as plenty). I didn't buy more, but my initial reaction was correct.

Things are a little different this time. Back then, QCOM had basically become the owner of CDMA, the emerging wireless technology. This time, QCOM is a major player in 5g, but the competition is more significant. OTOH, the percentage move in reaction to the news back then was, I think, almost 100%. This time, it's much less.

So today I once again think it's right to buy more Qualcomm, and once again I probably won't - even though it's not nearly as large a percentage holding for me as it was then. Once again I will probably be wrong.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.