Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Good news and bad news from the former iPIG portfolio for the most recent quarter.

The good news: The account received $711.55 in "dividend like" income in the first quarter of 2022, which is up nearly 10.4% from the $644.63 it received in the first quarter of 2021. That beat the 7.9% annualized inflation rate most recently published by the BLS, which means the portfolio is back to delivering in-line with its core designed expectation.

The bad news: The account's balance currently looks like it sits at $118,107.07. The official closing value of the account at the end of 2021 (per the brokerage statement) was $124,295.22. That's a loss of almost 5.0% over the quarter. That's slightly worse than the 4.6% loss from investing in the S&P 500-tracking SPY index fund and reinvesting dividends.

More bad news: I know I had mentioned wanting to do a thorough review by the end of the quarter. I failed to do so. Life, work, taxes, and inflation got the best of me. That does remind me of a key reason why I set the portfolio up the way I initially did: dividends are generally a decent signaling device. At minimum, I need to review dividend policy and actions and use it as a first-cut screen. I'm sure there are at least a couple of companies that no longer fit in the portfolio's design model...

Regards,
-Chuck
Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.