Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Quesiton is this: Is it normal to run into AMT because of high AGI? I don't mind paying the tax, but I thought AMT was there so as to disallow only certain types of deductions for people with high AGI. I don't claim any deductions other than state-taxes I have already paid.

While I am not in the tax business, this will be my third year in a row I've been hit by the AMT.

My understanding is that you can hit the AMT anytime you have a high AGI. This can be caused by something like a high income (in general or due to employee stock options), short term capital gains, or even long term capital gains.

The long term capital gains surprised me (made me hit it the first year), and while it still ended up that my LTCG were still taxed at just 15%, I lost out on some deductions and thus paid an additional $4k or so in fed taxes.

But, due to the ramping nature of the tax brackets, there is a point that someone could be above the AMT. AMT is basically a flat tax at 26 or 28% (depending), with fewer deductions than the normal tax code.

If you put both of those on a graph, you'd have a straight line (AMT), and a curved line (normal). The curved line would start above AMT (AMT has a large initial deduction), dip below the straight line (lets say at $130k, though it depends on a lot of things and so is not a fixed number), and then eventually hits the AMT line again before surpassing it.

With the AMT you pay whichever tax is higher, so basically you pay the normal tax at lower incomes, normal plus extra to bring you to the AMT level in the middle, and back to normal taxes if in the higher incomes.

But in general, anything that raises your AGI (above whatever limit based on your other deductions) can make you get hit by the AMT surcharge.

Hopefully that makes sense, and clears it up a bit.

Aaron
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.