No. of Recommendations: 0
i have century link for my internet provider and tested my speed.

been having issues with it actually working from time to time.

i shut everything off and my fastest download speed was 5.66mps.

my fastest upload was .068mps...is there anything i can do short

of changing internet providers? i am a novice at this and suggestions are

helpful.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
i have century link for my internet provider

~~~

...then you have DSL/twisted pair. DSL is distance dependant. It depends on how far from the CO (Central Office) you are as to the speed that is available to you. It's actually tech that had its start in the early 70's. Here's a WIKI read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line

I'd suggest you see what type of speed you're paying for and then compare that to what speed tests tell you. Also, what site did you use for your speed test? Care to share???

Check this site and tell us what you're getting: http://beta.speedtest.net/ (don't click on anything but the GO button, on this page.)

I have comcast... have a ping of 13, ~91DL and 6UL. BTW, it's Mbps (Mb/sec).
I have comcast... have a ping of 13, ~91DL and 6UL. BTW, it's Mbps (Mb/sec).

I have Bell Aliant Fibe .... ping of 2 ms, 333.64DL and 76.64UL

Cool speedtest.

Tim
I have Optimum cable in Brooklyn.

Ping of 10ms, 68DL and 29UL.

Ken
i have century link for my internet provider and tested my speed.

I get this with Verizon FiOS

24 ms Ping
82.6 Mbps Download
79.8 Mbps Upload

Mbps is Megabits per second.

been having issues with it actually working from time to time.

i shut everything off and my fastest download speed was 5.66mps.
my fastest upload was .068mps...is there anything i can do short
of changing internet providers? i am a novice at this and suggestions are
helpful.

What is mps? Is it bits per second? Is it Bytes per second?
What speed are you supposed to be getting? I am supposed to get 75 Megabits per second, both up and down, and I usually get a little more than that.

It does seem strange that your upload speed is so much lower than your download speed. What technology is your Internet connection to your ISP? How do you measure Internet speed? I use
https://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'd suggest you see what type of speed you're paying for and then compare that to what speed tests tell you.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. If you are getting everything promised by your provider your choices are finding another provider or (possibly) paying this one for more bandwidth. If you are not getting what you are paying for, demand that your provider fix it.
I have Bell Aliant Fibe .... ping of 2 ms, 333.64DL and 76.64UL

Cool speedtest.

That's not fair... quit bragging! So out of curiosity, what speed do you pay for versus what you're getting?

I pay for a 12Mb d/l connection through Xfinity cable and I get close to 70Mb.

HereIGo
That's not fair... quit bragging! So out of curiosity, what speed do you pay for versus what you're getting?

Chuckle, whiner. }};-D

The price is of course in C$ and they will negotiate for "valued customers" who threaten to move to the competition.

https://aliant.bell.ca/Bell-bundles?EXT=BRS_PDL_Google_kwid=...

I pay for this one, decided I didn't need the 1 Gbps download speed.

Fibe Internet

Download
up to 300 Mbps
Upload
up to 100 Mbps
Monthly usage
Unlimited

If the link doesn't work just Google "Bell Aliant bundles" and tell them you are in Nova Scotia (I live in Halifax). Wife and I have an agreement, she gets to pick the TV I get to pick the internet, we are happy with current provider.

Alternative would be this fellow: https://www.eastlink.ca/bundles.aspx

If that doesn't work (they try to be specific by location) Google "Eastlink Bundles Halifax" and follow the trail offered.

Tim <likes his fiber>
No. of Recommendations: 1
The bottom line is if you have cable TV available, it's usually coax and will be much faster. Ditto fiber optics (but you would know if it was available).

Some say Hughesnet Satellite can be an alternative, but upload is by phone and very slow. Not sure about download.
Some say Hughesnet Satellite can be an alternative, but upload is by phone and very slow. Not sure about download.

And satellite - doesn't matter what brand - is hopeless for any sort of "twitch game", because a round trip to the satellite and back to earth is approximately 44,500 miles and therefore 240 milliseconds at the speed of light. Plus whatever time ground-level data connections take and however long it takes for servers to respond.

That lag is going to make essentially no difference in how long it takes to transmit a gigabyte video file. But it makes a LOT of difference in real-time action games, where there are a dozen distinct events a second and you need to at least be theoretically capable of responding to each before the next happens.
Oddly, after testing earlier today I got an email from Optimum "rewarding" me as a long term customer and telling me increasing my service at no additional charge to 100 mbps.

New test now shows Ping of 13ms, 107DL and 37UL.

Ken

PS: A better reward would be cutting my monthly cable bill.
Check this site and tell us what you're getting: http://beta.speedtest.net/ (don't click on anything but the GO button, on this page.) - PoodleLover

---------------------

This ought to make the rest of you feel downright blessed with bandwidth whatever you are getting.

I have Verizon cellular and get ping 84ms, 0.0 DL (Yes, zero) and 0.4 UL.

BHM, who lives way out in the country, way back in the woods.
Check this site and tell us what you're getting: http://beta.speedtest.net/
This ought to make the rest of you feel downright blessed with bandwidth whatever you are getting.

I have Verizon cellular and get ping 84ms, 0.0 DL (Yes, zero) and 0.4 UL.

I have Verizon FiOS and just got this with your suggested speed-testing site.

Ping 7 ms Download 82.80 Mbps Upload 85.32 Mbps
My friend in "the Valley" (Annapolis Valley Nova Scotia) is excited because the fibe infrastructure has finally begun to arrive in his town (Kentville). My condo building in Halifax has been wired for "fibe" running parallel up the trunk with the old wires for about five years now. If we change providers the installer can switch us over in a matter of perhaps 20 minutes. Initial install costs for the company are high but the payback is pretty quick particularly in cities. I actually owned the stock of the company that put it in here then they got bought by Bell with a really nice premium.

Tim

https://broadbandnow.com/Fiber

FIBER-OPTIC INTERNET IN THE UNITED STATES
I have Spectrum Charter cable in St. Louis County, MO: ping 9 to 12, download 116-7, upload 4.5-5.6
As it happens I have used speedtest for some years to test my internet speed. First thing is that the site recommended is the beta sight for a new version of speedtest. So I tried the the beta version and compared it with the current version I have been using. First the beta version chose a different entry point to the internet than the current version. My service comes from Comcast. The current version chose a Comcast server in Richmond, VA. The beta version chose a server from Lumos Networks (?) in Waynesboro, VA.

The current version showed a download speed of about 30 mbps over about 6 tests,
which is consistent with the how I download videos, etc. The beta version showed a download speed of from less than 1 mbps to 8 mbps. So I would be wary of basing any conclusion on speed from the beta version. The current version address is

http://www.speedtest.net/?a=1

Note that if you are using a fiber connection, you may not see a difference. You probably only connect directly to a single server.
First thing is that the site recommended is the beta sight for a new version of speedtest.

You might want to override the server location and test both versions against the same site. (Personally I don't trust my ISP not to play games when they know speedtest is running.)
thank you all for giving me different ideas in which directions to go.

i am just an old point and click user who recently retired.

thanks for the speed test sites too...everything showed about the same

so...it is time to go shopping.

thanks
I pay for this one, decided I didn't need the 1 Gbps download speed.

~~~

WOW! Gonna be 200/mo after 3 months of being a 1/2 price BETA tester. I thought they were supposed to "pay you" for BETA testing! (o:

Hard to properly justify that cost, just for an ISP. (I remember $10/mo Adelphia cable internet... good job.) Sorry, but I can't see that as a responsible way to spend money... personally.
Hard to properly justify that cost, just for an ISP. (I remember $10/mo Adelphia cable internet... good job.) Sorry, but I can't see that as a responsible way to spend money... personally.

~~~

Oops... sorry, just realized it was a bundle. OK, but still... 2 bills a month? Really???

(BTW, once you've bit, they have you and you're never going back to whatever you once had. This specific bill/household cost will continue to rise. It will never go down. Hope it's in your budget, loooooong-term.)
No. of Recommendations: 7
WOW! Gonna be 200/mo after 3 months of being a 1/2 price BETA tester. I thought they were supposed to "pay you" for BETA testing! (o:

PL

Um .... actually that is for the whole bundle including hundreds of TV channels and our three digital TV boxes (two of them wireless) and our home phone. In fact the TV is a larger piece of the total cost than the ISP part of it but cheaper than a divorce if my wife can't get her fav shows. }};-@

Also I got the 3 month price for the full two years in order to get me to switch from Eastlink (even though I had every intention of switching ;-). I have no idea where you got the bit about BETA testing, Fibe is well established in Canada though not everyone can get it yet though they are working on it.

As to a "responsible way to spend money" I am long retired, 70, debt free, paid cash for my new car in Feb, bought my condo with cash, receive four pensions (one or I suppose two of them for 27 years in the military) from the federal government (my wife gets two), don't have to worry about serious healthcare expenses (Canadian eh!), have two daughters that I put through a couple of masters degrees each who both make far more money than I ever dreamed of with five grandkids and a grandpuppy (Havenese that we often puppysit), savings that would keep me going without my pensions (highly unlikely) for five years and feel spending for high speed internet is my business. }};-D

Tim
Sorry Tim. Thinking for me. Yes, everyone is entitles to what they want.

Again, my apologies...

<< www.stillthinksitsGRANDTHEFT.PL\knowstech\ >>
Sorry Tim. Thinking for me. Yes, everyone is entitles to what they want.

Again, my apologies...

No problem I'm used to my wife telling me how to spend my money. }};-D

Find it rather amusing that someone else tried to preempt her.

Everything costs more in Canada than it does in US, were used to it.

Tim
Exede Satellite
BTW: Been a long time since satellite systems used a phone line for any of its service.

ping 767
dl 6.03
up 0 (test did not run)
No. of Recommendations: 5
I just dropped my ATT dsl which was costing me $59/month and was 12 mbps. performance was terrible as I was at the end of the line/pipe. another local provider suddenlink had a 400 mbps plan for $69/month. my wife said suddenlink was not good in our area. I told her if they just got me 100mbps, it would be a 7 or 8 fold improvement. well we switched and they gave me Netflix for a year/free. whenever I bandwidth test, it is in the 400mbps range. everything in the house works great. I have wifi router off the modem and 2 wireless access points (WAP). when the kids come and get on the wifi, they notice that its fast. before it essentially didn't work when they all came to visit. needless to say, I am very happy for suddenlink costing ten dollars more a month and giving me 400mbps. internet, movies and wifi are all screaming fast again. HTH...doc