Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Who do I file a complaint against Fidelty mishandling my pension payment.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Who do I file a complaint against Fidelty mishandling my pension payment.

Is this the issue with your 401(k) being rolled over into the wrong type of IRA, or is it something else?

AJ
The isssue is Fidelty overpaid me on my pension not my 401k and then sent a letter to me saying that the were going to take payments for 4 months and cut my benefit to pay it back. On November 30, 2018 I received less benefit and started paying them back. Today I received a letter in the mail demanding I repay them immediately yet I started paying them back as they stated the would in a letter they sent me.

When I talked to the rep at the pension department they knew nothing about this letter I received. I asked to talk to management they said call me back in three business days. I disagree on the amount I owe them because they cut my benefit for 1 month. I paid them in a money order and sent it back to where they wanted it. I like to file a complaint against them or get Fidelty in serious trouble.
When I talked to the rep at the pension department they knew nothing about this letter I received. I asked to talk to management they said call me back in three business days. I disagree on the amount I owe them because they cut my benefit for 1 month. I paid them in a money order and sent it back to where they wanted it.

WHY did you pay them even though you are disputing the amount? That was not a good move. I hope you kept a copy of the money order and the letter that you sent along with the payment, stating that you were paying even though you disputed that you owed them, and sent the payment and letter with some type of receipt confirmation.

If they call you back, you need to ask for an exact accounting of what they've actually paid you, what they should have paid you, and how much they owe you out of the amount that you paid them. If you don't get satisfaction with that, or they don't call you back, then you need to start with the complaint procedure in your pension plan's Summary Plan Description. You should be able to get this through the company's benefits website. If you still aren't satisfied, then you should complain to your state's Attorney General (you'll need to find how to contact them) and the Department of Labor (here's their website for complaints: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa/about-ebsa/ask-a-question/... )

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 3
When I talked to the rep at the pension department they knew nothing about this letter I received... I paid them in a money order...

My guess is you just got scammed. Never ever pay anyone with a MO. Did the letter ask for a MO or was that your idea? If the letter requested a MO, then the letter was likely fraudulent.
I contacted Fidelty about my pension which they said I had to repay the full amount they wanted dispite my dispute. Now I'm waiting to see if they staighten the mess out in my December 31, 2018 pension payment. I honestly pay businesses by MO because its cheaper than buying checks at Chase or Sunwest. I also avoid overdrafting my checking accout.
honestly pay businesses by MO because its cheaper than buying checks at Chase or Sunwest.

??? You can buy checks for about $0.05 per check, probably less. Unless you get free MOs, then checks are always cheaper - and, while I don't know about Sunwest, I do know that Chase offers free checks with some accounts if you didn't want to order third party.
Hawkwin,

In response to my question mtr wrote this seemingly absurd response, honestly pay businesses by MO because its cheaper than buying checks at Chase or Sunwest.

To which you replied, ??? You can buy checks for about $0.05 per check, probably less. Unless you get free MOs, then checks are always cheaper - and, while I don't know about Sunwest, I do know that Chase offers free checks with some accounts if you didn't want to order third party.

But Chase and Sunwest don't charge a cent if you use their BillPay service - they'll even mail the check for you for free. No special deals are required. They will also guarantee the check's delivery, investigate you call because it didn't show and cancel and/or re-issue a lost or stolen check all for free.

There are literally no advantages I can see to using Money Orders if the recipient doesn't demand them. I can personally only think of one place that's ever demanded payment by money order. And I've encountered institutions that will not accept them for deposit because they are considered risky, so there are good reasons to not use them.

With one exception, the only people I've ever known that used them regularly had screwed up their credit and banking history so badly they couldn't open a bank account. I admit I spent a lot of time around people like that when I was much younger.

But when I hear / see statements like that I just throw up my hands these days... I just give up. Throw your money away. It's yours to squander.

- Joel
But Chase and Sunwest don't charge a cent if you use their BillPay service

Yes, but I assume that a person that choses to use a MO is even less likely to trust banking online in any capacity.
The isssue is Fidelty overpaid me on my pension not my 401k and then sent a letter to me saying that the were going to take payments for 4 months and cut my benefit to pay it back...I paid them in a money order and sent it back to where they wanted it.

Why did you have to pay them when they withheld your money for some period of time? They have your money...why would you need to pay to get it?

When I talked to the rep at the pension department they knew nothing about this letter I received...I like to file a complaint against them or get Fidelity in serious trouble.

Did you send the money order to an address that seemed like it would be that of Fidelity Investments in Boston, or was it something like "Fidelity Financial Services" or "Fidelity Money Management" in some out-of-the-way city?