Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've started doing a little research on AMSC. Now I have a couple of questions. Nothing too technical, but a question about the importance of this product.

First of all, it is easy to get excited about. Basicall AMSC makes the fiber-optics of the power transmission world, along with some other services.

But, what good is the fiber/higher-power cables, if we don't have the power supply to feed the lines? I have heard a lot of areas around the country are experiencing power shortages... And in the article by TMF Tom 9 (Tom jacobs) he said Texas could export their power surplus to Califronia if a netowrk of these lines existed? Now not being a physicist, and having forgotten much of my physics/chemistry, is that feasible. I mean, in communications you have to install repeaters and amplifires to boost the signal over long distances due to attenuation, thermal noise, etc... But I don't know if that is currently done with power lines, or could be done, or what...

However, if GE sales thier product, then that is reassurring. GE likes to be the number 1 or 2 leader in a market they enter, or they get out, (due to the difficulties of making a profit if you arent the market leader). So thats a good vote of confidence.

So my question is, do these power lines help even if there will be no more new sources of power being built/produced? And by how much?

Thanks,

Taylor
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.