Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Using Excel...

Can someone tell me how to create an "IF" formula that will do two separate things when the result is "True"?

For example (written in English): IF A6>0 then B6="123" AND C6="ABC" else B6=" " AND C6=" "

Any pointers on how to do this will be greatly appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Can someone tell me how to create an "IF" formula that will do two separate things when the result is "True"?

For example (written in English): IF A6>0 then B6="123" AND C6="ABC" else B6=" " AND C6=" "

In cell B6: if(A6>0,"123","")
in cell C6: if(A6>0,"ABC","")

A formula in one cell is not allowed to directly change any other cell.

(Of course, the result of that formula can affect the results of other formulas.)
Thank you, warrl.

Your statement: "A formula in one cell is not allowed to directly change any other cell" fully explains why I couldn't figure this out.

Thanks again.
A formula in one cell is not allowed to directly change any other cell.

No longer true. It used to be that entering:

={"A","B"}

...would only enter "A" in the cell the formula was entered in. It could be array-entered over a range that would allow it fill a 1-row by 2-column range.

With recent changes, it now allows the formula entered in one cell to "spill" into the other cells if necessary and allowable. That is, it's no longer necessary to array-enter formulas over a range. The formulas can do it automatically.

https://www.contextures.com/excelspillformulaexamples.html

If you have a version of EXCEL that has the SPILL feature, you could put this formula in cell B6:

=IF(A6>0,{"123","ABC"},{" "," "})

The second value of each array would automatically spill into cell C6, depending on the value in A6.
Well, I guess I don't have the SPILL feature. When I enter your example, only the "123" appears - the "ABC" does not.

If it matters, I'm using Excel 2013.