No. of Recommendations: 0
Looking at my State (NY) tax book, I notice how if one has Bond funds (I mean in taxable accounts) invested at least 50% in Treasuries, then part of the dividend interest may be, in fact, State tax exempt. But how exactly (for any other New Yorkers) might a hypothetical NY Tax return be filled out, taking this into account?

(I am specifically thinking of Vanguard short- or long-term ETF bond funds, if you wish to use one as an example. Am I correct to assume they might be 100% in Treasuries?) And where does one get a prospectus for an ETF, if such exists?

Re. ETFs vs. Bond (mutual) funds, I am assuming the former would be less likely to incur cap. gain dist.'s, just as with ETF securities.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.