Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The last time I bought a used car (about 10 years ago), it was from a dealer. And they let my mechanic inspect it at his shop.

Now I'm looking again, and I'm hoping to save some money by shopping from private sellers on craigslist.

I've asked a few if they'd be willing to let me bring it to my mechanic — or for them to bring it to him — and they all said no.

Of course they might say that because they don't want me to find out something bad about the car, but is my request unreasonable?

If it makes a difference, I'm looking at used minivans in the $3500 - $4500 range. (Which means mostly 2006 models with 100K - 150K miles).
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.