No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm cleaning out the medicine shelf and ran across a 4 year old prescription for citalopram (celexa). I guess I must've had an anxiety issue at the time, but I can't remember (that is, I have occasional anxiety issues, but don't remember getting treated...yeah, memory issues, too, apparently-).

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to throw out the remainder (looks like I took maybe half--don't know why I stopped...maybe the anxiety ended or I decided it didn't work for me or I read the side-effects(!). WOuld this still be safe to take after 4 years anyway?

I don't have a doctor I can ask at the moment. (When our doc turned into a boutique practice 11 months ago, we decided not to cough up the extra cost to stay with her--$125/mo/pp!--and last winter we saw a new doc. But a few months later she left or retired (or was fired, who knows...the wording was cagy). I won't have time to do a proper search for a new doc until the winter (I had a complete physical w/labs a year ago and a partial one with the new doc last March, so I'm not in need of the basics for a while anyway).

SO...I'm asking here as this citalopram is also prescribed for depression, so I figured someone here may be familiar with it. Do you know if it's safe to take 4+ year old citalopram? I'm usually the sort of person who just throws out medication as soon as it reaches the so-called expiration date. But being retired on less income, I am much more cautious about wasting anything.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.