Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I'm very automotive illiterate. I have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder with about 91k miles on it. I have it at the dealer for repairs as we speak. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on over the weekend, so I'm having them fix that.

The muffler is also rusted. They said that the whole exhaust system has to be replaced because of this, and that it'll cost about $1200. I'm not having them do that at this time.

Does this sound like the normal suggestion and price?

Thanks in advance!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I check out another shop or an independent shop, have them put your Pathfinder on the lift and you and they can look at the whole exhaust system together and you can see what's really rusted through, somewhat rusty, slightly rusty, or not rusty and then decide.

They also might be figuring for a replaced catalytic converter as well, otherwise, I'd rather see for myself what's rusty and not.

Duck
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've had a bit of exhaust work done of the years. Replacing just the muffler isn't very profitable for most shops. I've had several occasions where a repair place, usually a discount place, has attempted to have additional pieces of the exhaust pulled that didn't need to be replaced.

In general, at your mileage, the muffler and possibly all piping up to the heavy duty piping connected to the manifold is suspect. The piping connected to the manifold is usually heavy duty and last quite a while....even with a flex pipe. The Catalytic converter should be fine at your mileage.

Take it to another shop, Midas or whatever, and get another estimate. Some shops attempt to charge to diagnose exhaust issues, one Midas tried it with me, so go somewhere else if you have to pay a diagnosis fee.

If you're not comfortable with looking over the parts to be replaced, ask a friend to join you that knows a bit about cars. You can also ask them to show you what they want to replace. If the pipe looks good and has no holes in it, ask them to fill you in on why they need to replace it (BS may be sent your way by the boat load).

No matter what, 1800 is crazy expensive even if you are replacing the entire exhaust.
No. of Recommendations: 2
<<The muffler is also rusted. They said that the whole exhaust system has to be replaced because of this>>

Ummm. I'm not an automotive Xpert, but what do they mean when they say the muffler is "rusted"? I'd replace a muffler that is rusted through and has a hole in it, but not one that has some rust on it ----not without a more convincing explanation.

And I'd be quite suspect of someone telling me a six year old car needs the whole exhaust system replaced.

Get another opinion or two would be my suggestion.

Seattle Pioneer
On the other hand a bad catalitic converter could be the source of the CEL (Check Engine Light). Certainly this is something you want to know related to your repairs. $1800 for exhaust sounds high but that is just a SWAG as I haven't done any exhaust work for a lo-o-o-ng time.

GeeB
Not unusual for a dealer to quote such prices, and they will often say the whole system should be replaced when a part of it is failing, especially due to corrosion. I've also seen whole exhaust systems get burned out from the inside when there has been a consistently leaking valve, but you would expect the monitoring system to have turned on the warning light long before that happened.

I'd wait to see where they are at with the warning light, and have the exhaust repaired/replaced as needed at an independent shop you trust.

Richard
Thanks all.

Based on your thoughts, I asked my business partner (who is good with cars) to take a look and go with me to another shop.