Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife has received restricted stock, and when they vested, some of the shares were withheld to pay tax (about 1/3 of the shares). However, since I never received a 1099, and have never sold any shares, I never put these on our tax returns. I'm now considering the sale of some shares, and I'm now realizing that I probably should have declared these awards upon vesting, and taken credit for the taxes paid. I think the taxes withheld are roughly what I would pay now, but that's probably beside the point. I'd rather not have the IRS get upset.

The problem is that the earliest award is from 2007. I have paid the taxes on the dividends received as ordinary income (as I received an end of year statement for the dividends). Do I have to go back 5 years and submit 5 years worth of revised tax returns? Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.