Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Question about the paperless society and IRS documentation requirement: I know I must keep all my stock and mutual fund documentation forever. Now, I'm getting them, not a physical paper, but emails, leading to PDFs on various websites. 1) is this trustworthy? 2) sane? and 3) what might the options be, aside from printing everything up every month?

You don't have to keep all the documentation forever, you just have to keep track of the relevant documentation.

In most cases, the 1099s have all the relevant data. I maintain an annual spreadsheet to cover stock/ETF transactions with columns similar to the Schedule D, plus a couple of additional columns. One additional column is for keeping track of partial share sales i.e. If I buy 200 shares at time X, sell only 100 shares at time Y, that row gets a P or a check in its respective cell to denote a partial sell. The second additional column is for special cases e.g. wash sales, RoC (Return of Capital), etc. The spreadsheet can validate the 1099, or vice versa. Lot of work? Not really, perhaps an hour or so a month that pays off huge during tax filing time.

Hohum
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.