Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My daughter is moving to Vietnam August 2. She is already planning a long vacation to New Zealand maybe for next summer (N. Hemisphere) which would be New Zealand winter.

My question: What places in New Zealand are must see? I may meet her there but don't think I can vacation for a whole month, which is what she is planning. She really wants to see the whole country.

I skin dive and can handle cold water, but I'm not sure I can handle New Zealand in winter. I can hike small amounts, but not 10 miles in mountainous areas.

She has been looking at vacation deals and I have looked over some of it. There is so much! I'm not sure where I should meet with her, but I don't want to skydive or bungee jump {shudder}.

Any suggestions?
Print the post Back To Top
I'm probably not the best person to ask. I've never been to Queenstown or Napier... both would be good to see, though Napier is really a summer town. The Waitomo caves, Wellington. Auckland is not that different from LA. Narrower streets, fewer guns but there's not that much there in the way of culture. Not getting out that much... vacation time accumulates.

Wellington has Te Papa which is pretty high on the list. If you do it in winter you'd want to go skiing somewhere. Thing is that Queenstown is too expensive for regular folk. I don't do a lot of skiing, but you can Ski North Island Ruapehu for a lot less in winter.

Don't try to climb mountains.
Meet in Auckland and work down, or Christchurch and work up. Flights in and out will mostly be Auckland any way you do it.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Wellington has Te Papa which is pretty high on the list.

lol, I looked at the Te Papa website out of curiosity and front page is a Warhol exhibit.
You can learn more about New Zealand and New Zealanders from Te Papa than from any other single place in NZ. They also bring in things like the Warhol exhibit on a month to month basis. :-)

Te Papa is more for New Zealanders than for guests.