Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a couple of questions for those of you folks who buy bonds:
1- Has anyone here ever bought directly from the Treasury vs. buying a bond fund- was it an easy experience?
2- Has anyone here ever bought the "inflation proof" bonds- can they be bought directly from the treasury?
3- Finally, does the US Treasury have a web site?
Thanks for any help offered.
Eddie
Print the post Back To Top
I have a couple of questions for those of you folks who buy bonds:
1- Has anyone here ever bought directly from the Treasury vs. buying a bond fund- was it an easy experience?

Yes and yes. I have done it by calling up the local Federal Reserve and having them explain what to do, mail me the forms, and I mailed them back. They're very helpful. But now I do it all on the web and it's even easier. You set it up once with your local bank account, and then they automatically debit your account when you buy something, and credit your account when you sell something or get interest.

2- Has anyone here ever bought the "inflation proof" bonds- can they be bought directly from the treasury?

I haven't bought inflation-indexed notes, but yes, I believe you can buy them directly. (they're on the auction calendar)

3- Finally, does the US Treasury have a web site?

You bet. Here's the site for Treasury Direct:
http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/sec/sectrdir.htm
Sorry can't help you. Never traded treasuries the yield
is way too low. Have traded corporates for 17 years and
find much better opportunies there. To me, you have to get a better return on your money. Barely staying ahead
of inflation is just is'nt going to pay for your retire
-ment years. The 'fools' offer much more practical investment strategies, tap their resources and do your
homework, 'there is no such thing as a free lunch'.
Map out a Seven Figure game plan for your retirement.
I'm sure you can do it - and have as much fun as I do
at 71+ - - Matthew
Website for US govt treasuries:
http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/sec/secfaq.htm