Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
What is STARNOM and what does it mean for an officer to ne nominated to it? Please simplify your answer to the point that this Marine will be able to understand it, i.e. do STARNOM selectees get more: command (+), bullets (++), stick time (.), second looks from attractive women (!), or something less appealing such as a beltway tour (---). It appears as if information on this topic will be an EEI at the next family gathering that I attend.
Print the post Back To Top
Can you be more specific? In what context did you see it used?

Two guesses: There's a program (Ad Adstra, I think...."To the Stars") where exceptionally bright, talented Captains are assigned directly to the Air Staff / Chief of Staff's office for 12-24 months. It allows a fairly Jr. officer to see the highest levels of USAF policy formulation and program management. Frequently, alumni go on to prestigious positions as Jr. Majors and later become Flag Officers later in their careers. Tends to mark a selectee as a "fast burner."

2nd Guess: STARNOM sounds like some (a Colonel) whose been NOMinated for his STAR (BG select).......although I've never encountered the term. Newly selected Brigadier Generals often go on the CAPSTONE Course, which a months (4-5??) long course on How to Be a General....it shows them the many facets of the AF (and DoD) they may be unfamiliar with.

Again...in what context was the term used?

Yoda
There's a program (Ad Adstra, I think...."To the Stars") where exceptionally bright, talented Captains are assigned directly to the Air Staff / Chief of Staff's office for 12-24 months.

The old ASTRA program -- ASTRA is an acronym, but I don't know what it stands for -- has been dead for a long time. A few years ago, the Air Force created a new Air Force Intern Program (AFIP), but the Air Force went to a lot of trouble to emphasize AFIP is different from ASTRA. Here's a link to the most recent press release on AFIP:
http://www.af.mil/news/Dec2001/n20011227_1854.shtml

However, I've never heard of the term STARNOM. I agree with your comment that context would help. My personal guess is that it's a local term, although I wouldn't be surprised to learn that somebody is pulling the Marine's leg.

David Jacobs
Maybe I was confusing ASTRA with the AFIP. Learn something new every day! Thanks for the link & the update!

Still waiting for the context on STARNOM.......

Yoda
Yoda,
Thanks for the information. The context in which the term was used is definitely in keeping with your first guess. The individual in question is a Captain with about four years in grade.

aeg
However, I've never heard of the term STARNOM. I agree with your comment that context would help. My personal guess is that it's a local term, although I wouldn't be surprised to learn that somebody is pulling the Marine's leg.
David Jacobs

I wonder if the protocol office would know?

Tigerman
No. of Recommendations: 1
I KNEW my two years working personnel issues would pay off eventually...

STARNOM refers to certain positions in which the commander gets to pick the person for the job, such as 4-star aides (which are usually O-3's). I know there are a few more categories but I can't think of them now.

Anyway, the way that process works is the commander in question will go to the Air Force Personnel Center and say "give me a list". AFPC then sends the request out to the Major Commands (where I worked) and says "give me two candidates from your Command." The consolidated list is then passed to the commander, who picks someone.

So STARNOM doesn't really refer to people, but positions. However, those who are nominated for the STARNOM jobs tend to be the cream of the crop and will no doubt continue to rise even if they don't get that job.

Also note that commanders constantly pick people they want to work for them. But in the new assignment system (now three years old), those are really in the form of By Name Requests to AFPC. The STARNOM's are actually built into the system.

Hope that helps,
- Tom
STARNOM refers to certain positions in which the commander gets to pick the person for the job, such as 4-star aides (which are usually O-3's). I know there are a few more categories but I can't think of them now.

These positions are called "direct hire" positions. As I'm sure you're aware, but other readers may not be, the Air Force assignment system is a push system, not a pull system, which means the assignment officers (detailers) at Air Force Personnel Center make assignments based on needs of the service, professional development, etc. However, general officers get to select individuals for some jobs, for example aides-de-camp, executive officers (above wing level), commanders, etc. The rule book describes these positions as "dirct hire."

The Air Force Assignment System only applies to officers of rank lieutenant colonel and below. The Air Force manages colonels and general officers differently. For those who are fascinated with the Air Force Assignment System, you can get more information from this link:
http://afas.afpc.randolph.af.mil/

David Jacobs
No. of Recommendations: 1
The Air Force Assignment System only applies to officers of rank lieutenant colonel and below. The Air Force manages colonels and general officers differently. For those who are fascinated with the Air Force Assignment System, you can get more information from this link:
http://afas.afpc.randolph.af.mi...

I respond to all official surveys or information requests in a serious manner. But, I had to tap dance all over a, mark the choices, update sent a few years back when the AF attempted to determine any continued qualifications, which someone in the AF had been given charge of updating who had no idea what he/they were doing.

My response had no place so I 'spoiled' the survey, I guess, by writing on it.

God help us if us 'ol guys were ever needed and selectively called. I can only imagine what cluster may result.