Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Question: Has Congressman Thompson read the bill?

Answer: I have read and was involved in drafting the bill I voted on. For weeks before the introduction of H.R. 3200, members of the Ways and Means Committee, myself included, met daily to go through the bill line by line and section by section. As a group, we spent 86 hours going over this legislation.

I hope staff was spending a lot more time than that.

I spent the summer of 1994 going through Hillarycare and the Republican counterproposal. We spent many 12 hour days poring over things, and all we were looking at and talking about was implementation issues of the tax provisions. Zip on policy. A recurring comment: "Thank God we don't work at HHS."

I highly recommend the September issue of the Atlantic. There's a long essay about health care reform, with tons of food for thought.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.