Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Question: is there any state-related capital gains tax?

Depends on the state.

I ask because if I sell a stock with less than one year, I pay 28% ordinary income and 7% North Carolina state tax for a gross rate of 28+7=35%.

Actually it is a little less than that (if you itemize deductions on your federal return) because you get a deduction for the state tax you pay. 28+(7-(7*.28))=28+5.04=33.04%

Don't take this to the bank, cuz I'm in California, but it appears that NC doesn't have a separate CG rate. If you look at how the NC return calculates the tax, it takes the Federal Taxable Income makes some NC adjustments (not any for capital gain) and then applies a tax rate to the result.

If NC had a separate CG rate you would back out the cap gain, figure the tax on the non-CG income, apply the CG rate to the CG and add the two amounts together.

This is just off the top of my head. Well, I did a quick run at the NC Dept of Revenue website - and didn't find anything specific on the topic.

Gail ~ the only thing worse than doing an out-of-state return is doing a multi-state part-year non-resident expat return - or my own tax return.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.