Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Supposed to do first oil change after 5 hours use,then annually.I did 14 hours before doing it

The manual recommends 18 to 20 ounces of oil.After running the engine awhile,I shut it off & drained the oil till it stopped coming out.(I'm sure there would still be SOME left in there even if drained when the oil is still warm.)

I put in 18 ounces,waited awhile & looked at the dip stick.I couldn't see the oil so I added 2 more ounces.

I've now added the max recommended amount,but checking the dip-stick again,the oil line isn't showing on the yellow plastic.

So my question:
IF it was full at 18 ounces,& I couldn't see that & added the additional 2 ounces to hit the 20 ounce max,can I run it as is without worrying about causing damage?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
IF it was full at 18 ounces,& I couldn't see that & added the additional 2 ounces to hit the 20 ounce max,can I run it as is without worrying about causing damage?

No, I would call the dealer/manufacturer and discuss the matter with them.

Also, did you keep track of how much oil you drained from the crankcase, and how it measured on the dipstick before draining the oil?

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 0
Are you sure the machine was level when you measured the oil level with the dipstick?

Are you sure you can see the oil line on the plastic dipstick? Dirty oil is much easier to see. Clean oil can be a problem to see. But if you hold it up to the light and look closely you might be able to see the line.

Calling the engine manufacturer help line is probably the best course. Running the engine with a little less oil or a little too much oil risks extra wear but is usually harmless. But a major overfill can be a problem.