Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Our company has an Employee stock purchase plan that lets us buy stock at a discount. However, the total value of the stock that was purchased showed up on my W-2 as income, when that is not the true gain. I did sell the stock later for a slight profit, but the actual gain was only about 5% of the amount paid for the stock. My question, is there a form that allows the stock cost basis to be subtracted from the "income" so a true gain is reflected on the 1040? Or did the brokerage make a mistake by putting the total stock value as opposed to the actual gain? The brokerage said that the total purchase amount was the correct amount and I have to consult with my tax advisor in order to figure it out. The net result is my line 1 of the W-2 is too high by the amount of the stock value when it was purchased, and as a result I will end up being double taxed on that amount. Any help is appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.