Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hello everyone,

I am a researcher at a university. A non-profit organization has agreed to fund my research, but they will report the amount of the grant on form 1099, which they will send me early next year. They said that, when filing my taxes for the year 2020, I can file a schedule C along with form 1040 and claim the expenses I incur on the research back.

As you likely know, Schedule C is used to report income or loss from a business one operates as a sole proprietor. An activity qualifies as a business if (a) the primary purpose for engaging in the activity is for income or profit, and (b) one is involved in the activity with continuity and regularity.

In other words, I am supposed to treat the amount of the research grant as business income, and the expenses I incur on the research project as business expenses.

In this regard, I have two questions.

First, I have never heard of anything like this before. Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation? The thing that’s troubling me is that the primary purpose of my research endeavors are (obviously) not for profit and the IRS may not view the activity as a business, especially because the net profit from the activity will be zero (I will obviously spend all the money received on research related expenses, though not necessarily in the same year; see next point).

I just don't want to get into trouble with the IRS or increase the likelihood that my tax return will be audited.

Second, do I need to spend the entire amount received in a given year in the same year? My research projects often extend for a few years, and it would be helpful for me to spread out the spending over at least a couple of years. Will Schedule C allow me to defer some expenses to the next year?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.