Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

My mom is 80 and has been taking automatic monthly RMD's from her traditional IRA, up until April 2 this year. When we found out about the RMD suspension for 2020, we stopped the automatic withdrawals. From what I can tell, she has until July 15 according to the CARES Act to re-deposit one (or some?) of these withdrawals. She has not done any sort of rollover within the past 12 months.

I have a few questions, as the info I find online often seems confusing and/or contradictory.

1) She took $5K monthly distributions, which were initiated by her brokerage on 1/2, 1/31, 3/2, and 4/2. The distribution initiated on 1/31 was not deposited in her checking account until 2/3. Would that distribution qualify to be re-deposited?

2) How many of her $5K distributions can be re-deposited? Is it only one, or is it potentially the February, March, and April distributions?

3) She has a Roth IRA account, which she has never funded. Would she be allowed to roll over some portion these RMD withdrawals into her Roth? If so, what would be the maximum? (She is retired, by the way.)

Any information or feedback is very much appreciated!!!

Todd
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.