Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I had one 401k account in my previous employer and one in my current employer.

My previous employer 401k distribution.
Vanguard Target 2050 - 70%
Vanguard S&P 500 - 20%
Vanguard bond fund - 5%
Vanguard emerging, vanguard REIT, vanguard extended index - 5%

My concern is that how should I deal with my previous employer 401k account?

I did some research by myself, and found some possibilities.

1. Rollover it to my IRA account. I know that maybe the best choices for some people. But maybe not for me. Here is the reason. I want to use backdoor later, then I can invest IRA first and then transfer it to Roth IRA. Since my salary is higher than IRA deductible & Roth IRA limit, I can only do this to invest and get the tax benefits. So, I don’t want my IRA account contains any tax-before money, otherwise I need to pay tax again when I transfer money from IRA to Roth IRA.

2. Rollover it to my current employer 401k account. Maybe I still don’t want to do this. Since, timing is always a problem. When to Rollover? I believe that invest many times instead of invest once should avoid the timing issue.

3. Keep the money in the previous employer 401k account. I am thinking maybe that’s the best choice for me among all possibilities. But there will be another problem, is the current distribution of the funds good? I am thinking to convert 2050 into S&P 500, Extended Index, and Bond. Finally, I want to make the distribution like this: S&P 500 - 60%, Extended Index - 30%, Bond - 10%. Does this make sense? Or 2050 is a better choice for me? I should covert all my funds into 2050 only?

I post my question here, and want to get some advices. This concern really exist in my mind for a while. Thanks for your help!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.