Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A friend of mine just informed me that the city he works and lives in is asking him for unpaid city income taxes for 2010, 2011, and 2012. (He admits that he didn't have his tax withholdings correct at his work and that he owes something.)

As he pays off these back tax debts, interest on the back tax debts, and penalties on the back tax debts, is any of the payment potentially deductible on his federal taxes? If so what part or parts? Also, when? Would it be deductible as he pays it (IE: in 2013 or 2014), or would he have to amend prior years to claim the deduction?

Inside Value Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.