Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Not exactly retirement investing, but I figure someone here is likely to know the answer.

One of my holdings had a stock split recently. I downloaded it, and Quicken recognized the split and put an entry "stock split". Great. But there is another entry it wasn't me to accept, and it doesn't make sense to me. "shares removed". Huh?? Shares were NOT removed. Why is it asking me to accept that entry? I don't get it. Maybe it's some subtle accounting thing?

TIA,
1poorguy
Print the post Back To Top
Did the split come with a ticker change?
What company/ticker are you referring to?
MCHP split 2 for 1. So why does it want to remove shares?

I get if there was a ticker change. Remove the old ticker, add to the new ticker. But MCHP didn't change. It just split.
No. of Recommendations: 1
". But there is another entry it wasn't me to accept, and it doesn't make sense to me. "shares removed". Huh?? Shares were NOT removed. Why is it asking me to accept that entry? I don't get it. Maybe it's some subtle accounting thing?

TIA,
1poorguy "
Possibly something to do with "fractional shares" - typically, fractional shares are paid in cash
rather than providing a partial share. When you do dividend re-investments you frequently have
partial shares in your account. If there is a split, the company may or may not recognize
fractional shares.
Sometimes situations get complicated.

Howie52
Course, could also be a glitch or a finger held down too long on a screen which is not displayed
long enough. Happens in Quicken a lot in my experience.
Are using the current Quicken(Mac) or Quicken(Win) or a version of either released before 2017?

I have moved to current Quicken(Mac) but used Quicken(Win) years ago. As I recall Quicken(Win) has always had a problem with fractional shares acquired through splits or mergers and dividend reinvestment schemes. Quicken may be prompting you for what to do with fractional shares.

Also, I recall needing to specify selling all shares of the last lot of a security to get rid of fractional shares that had accumulated overtime.

For transactions that would result in fractional shares in Quicken(Mac), I increase the number of shares involved by the number of fractional shares. I then change the Miscellaneous Income transaction for cash received in lieu of fractional shares to a Sell transactions.
What does your brokerage account say vs Q?
What was exact share count before & after? Any partial share?
Is your post split share balance correct? I lean to a Cash In Lieu as mentioned.
There is a "Shares Removed" transaction option that removes the shares w/o affecting cash balance.

This kinda stuff is why I don't D/L transactions, before you know it you've got Placeholder entries!

Also, there's a Fool board for "Mastering" Quicken - HA!. You might try there too for more exposure:

https://boards.fool.com/quick-changing-hands-34929647.aspx
I can try that other board.

To answer your questions, no, it wasn't because of partial shares. That was "cash in lieu" (which I also had). The "stock split" entry appears to have doubled my shares, which is correct. So why does it want to remove a large block?

When I check the brokerage, no actual shares have been removed. Or at least I don't see an entry. I can't really get a ledger view. But "transactions" say "bought" and then "stk split". No evidence of "remove".

Thanks for the link. I'll try it out.
Something is obviously wonky somewhere.

I would try this:

From the Investing Tab double click your MCHP holding to open a Security Detail View for it. Then click the Security Report (upper right next to ?mark) for it. That should give you ALL the Quicken transactions recorded for MCHP, whether D/L or manually entered. From there you can review them for completeness & accuracy to your brokerage (or DRIP) transactions.

And see Draggon's reply on Q board: CIL/Partial share is the same thing & you only count it once & that partial share needs to be removed. If it is a large block that sound like a duplicate entry somehow. If so, it should show up in the security report. Review carefully, check for slight name difference, e.g. - XYZ Corp vs XYX Inc, etc.

The only thing I let Quicken download are quotes & investment information (news). That way any mistakes are mine and much easier to find when reconciling than any of Quicken's mishandling of transactions. YMMV.

Good luck.
I let Quicken download activity because I still have to accept it. I sometimes do delete transactions (e.g. duplicate), but I verify before I either delete or accept.

I'll try to drill into it as you describe, see what I can see. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to delete these transactions because they just don't make sense. Evidently it's not an accounting subtlety that I wasn't aware of.