No. of Recommendations: 1
Quite a number of people somehow come to the conclusion that their investment strategies should somehow change once they are retired. I don't buy it. At age 52 or 60; you still have 30ish years to go as an investor --- that kinda looks pretty long term to me. The only new investment demand you will have that you didn't have before is a periodic withdrawal so you can put bread on the table.

As a result, I would hold somewhere in the 15% range in cash/cash equivalents area as your immediate stockpile from which to make periodic withrawals (simply so you are not forced to sell a security at an inopportune moment to buy groceries) & take the remaining 85% and invest aggressively to for the long term.

TheBadger
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.