Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Quite frankly, if our government doesn't change -- and soon -- I'm thinking of heading for Canada. Do you suppose I can get in illegally like others do here?

It's easy to get in illegally--just go as a visitor and stay there. But you might have some difficulty qualifying for health coverage--that requires permanent resident status. Here in OR an illegal can get a drivers license, but I think they're a little more discriminating about who gets coverage up north.

DW is a Canadian and we explored the possibility of retiring in BC because we love the PNW and to save on health coverage. But my research showed that living in WA and paying our own premiums would be cheaper overall because of the higher Canadian tax burden.

And anyway, the Canadian system is falling apart. A Quebec man sued his province last year because they didn't let citizens obtain private care and he was tired of waiting for some procedure.

Canada's own supreme court ruled that their health care system is a danger to the populace, and that access to a waiting list is not the same thing as access to care.

And besides, just because you move to Canada, it doesn't mean that George Bush won't still be listening to your phone calls.<g>

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.