Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"- They find undervalued homes that are sure to appreciate nicely over time
- 50% of millionaires bought their homes for less than $500,000 and
- almost all, 93% of millionaires' homes are now valued above $500,000

- They tend NOT to pay off their mortgages early
- 60% of all surveyed carry mortgages and 80% of those that bought their homes less than 23 years ago carry mortgages"<i/>

Stanley states his survey primarily targeted areas 'rich' in miilionaire net worth houses. It does not include the rest of America.

I disagree that you can make assumptions as to which 40% of the group has no mortgages. That isn't provided. You can assume, but have no idea. How many of those houses were bought for cash? never had a mortgage?

The IRS database, of ALL millionaire households, not just the 773 the agreed to STanley's interviews (and there were those 'not interested), suggests the average home price is $277,000.

That's a lot of other 'less house rich' people that have to be added in.

I live in a $200,000 house. I have been here 10 years, going on 11. The mortgage of $100,000 was paid down in six years out of current income. I retired 2 years, 3 months ago at 52.5 years of age. My net worth is over 1 million. I have seen less than 1% appreciation in real estate value in 10 years. The house is about 6.5% of my net worth.

If I knew 10 years ago what I know now, and the tax laws were different then, like they are now, I would be living in a $130,000 house. Less than 5% of net worth.

Then again, money in the stock market earned about 20% a year over the past 10 years. Fortunately, I also had a good amount of money in that, which lead to my early retirement.

For people in Dallas, a house was a 'rotten' investment over the past 10 years, and if they bought 1980-1985, they have lost money.

- almost all, 93% of millionaires' homes are now valued above $500,000

<i/>

Again, the IRS statistics say the average is $277,000.

Throw in INTERCST, who doesn't even have a house, guess his is a ZERO, in that category, and it has to drop the average.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.