No. of Recommendations: 0
"Yeah, there are datasets that go back further than 1950. But that was a different world. WW2, Great Depression, etc."

Ok, thanks.

"Google is your friend. "s&P500 pe ratio""

Thanks, for the link, glad my memory was right.

"I have a copy of a FED paper which says, "Campbell and Shiller found that higher P/E
ratios are usually followed by lower stock price growth during the following decade."
Decade. Yes. But we're talking about long-term mortgage periods -- 25 & 30 years.

Another FED paper says, "The forward P/E should not be taken as an infallible indicator of where prices will move. Since 2006, the S&P forward P/E ratio has generally remained below its 15-year average and well below the highs seen in the 1990s. In particular, the ratio did not increase substantially before the 2007-2008 financial crisis and did not provide a strong signal before the subsequent bear market. More recently, the ratio has grown at a markedly slower rate than the S&P 500 stock index, perhaps suggesting that stock prices have been justified by higher expected earnings."
"

I hear you on all this. Certainly it is tough to categorically argue for what forward returns will be, either on economic beliefs for historical data. I gave my opinions, and that is all they are.

"Notwithstanding all that..."

Agree with your final notes. Clearly, historically, this has been a pretty low bar to surpass.

Thanks for sharing your rationale.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.