Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
"1. Since the stock is in my personal taxable account, do I need to gift shares to my son and his wife, separately? $12,500 each?"

How do you plan to transfer the shares to your son and his wife? It is simplest to have your broker transfer the shares from your brokerage to theirs. If it is going to a joint account you can send the entire gift together and it would split 50/50. If they have seperate accounts you need to split the transfers.

"2. Or, can the gift be considered as coming from both my husband and myself even though my husband is not named as an owner on my account?"

To perform gift splitting between you and your husband(for gifts over $12,500/year/person, you would need to file a gift tax return if you make the gift from your seperate funds.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.