Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
"A man who is already 75 has a 1.5% chance of reaching 100. "

SO?

If you are 75, and do a 'reset' on your portfolio....the 4% is for another 30 years.....you'll be 105..if you are one of the lucky one in a hundred type (males) to make it to 100....plus....

If you figure you'll make it 95, that's only 20 years...and gotta increase your take - otherwise, you'll be in fat city with your portfolio value and your heirs and Uncle Sam will thank you.... spend more....

At age 75, there aren't a whole lot of expensive things I want to buy. I don't want a $60,000 car......really.... my Chevy Malibu is fine for what I do, and after it reaches 175 miles in another 2 years...I'll find something else for $30,000 to buy.....likely......

I don't want a summer place or a winter condo.... just way too much hassle...or a silly sailboat.... heck, you got a sailboat in TX and you get fried most of the summer...same for a big power boat and there is only me....... (plus I got power boats and water skiing out of my system by age 40 - parents had nice boat - and later a sailboat...).....but they lived on nice lake for summer in upstate NY......

I've been living below my means (happily) for 50 years....and it's hard just to 'live at my means'.....

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.