Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
"Abhorrent" may be too strong a word for me.
Maybe "didn't really think it through fully"?

FWIW, at the time of my post pretty much the only information available on the subject was the tweet itself.
The consensus for some time among serious journalists seemed to be that the tweet was perhaps a joke or prank by Mr Musk, or at most a trial balloon.
That's because there was no additional information before or after for a while (no 8K filed, no press release),
the echo of his April Fools tweet that fell flat, and the selection of the 420 number which has certain connotations.

Seems he was serious, based on the letter. Who knew?
Still no 8K filed as far as I can tell, but that may not be a violation of the rules as
apparently Tesla has directed shareholders to follow the Twitter feed to get news.
If there's a securities violation, the important question will likely be the level of truth
to the assertion in the tweet that they had "funding secured".
I have no reason to doubt that, but he'd better have some paperwork on that when the SEC comes calling.

Vague observations:
* It sure is an eye watering amount of money to nail down without anybody noticing.
* It's interesting to see that the price started its sudden serious spike just after 12:17 PM, which was 31 minutes before his tweet at 12:48.
Roughly 60% of the total price rise (from the undisturbed price at 12:47 to the $366.79 just before the trading suspension) took place before the tweet.
* In a "meta" kind of way, it was handled appropriately. The company being private has a
certain conceptual consistency with a company boss who would handle major news this clumsily.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.