Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 14
"According to today's Wall Street Journal depressed people that start weightlifting or running often lose their depression."

I have believed anecdotally for years that exercise helps me personally fight depression.

About 20 years ago my work had me severely stressed and depressed. I had trouble sleeping. I had anxiety attacks in the middle of the night. I even had a self diagnosed malady that my wife and I jokingly called 'hot pillow'. I would get so stressed in the middle of the night that it felt like my pillow was on fire and I would have to get out of bed and just sweat it out.

One day I was riding to or from work, trying not to have anxious thoughts about it, feeling my heartbeat speed up and trying to control it, when I noticed about 30 kids playing full court basketball at the local park. I then remembered how, when I was a teen, I would play basketball for hours and hours, and then limp home at the end of the day, completely and totally tired and famished, and completely and totally content.

I could actually feel that content feeling just from memory alone.

I realized right then and there that I NEEDED to work exercise back into my life. I joined a pool and swam about 1/2 lap, stopped and stood up in the pool to catch my breath, and then plodded on.

Within a year I was swimmng a mile a day and sleeping again, and functioning as a 'normal' human again.

This morning, 20 (or thereabouts) years later, at the age of 49, I got up about 5:30 a.m. and did my little 7.5 mile Tuesday run. I started out a little tired and negative, reminded myself (as I often do) that the tired, negative days are often the most important exercise days of all, tried to listen to the birds and dogs and cars and get my mind and body right for another day on this earth.

Anyway, that's another part of my story and I am sticking to it. I am predisposed to believe that exercise is an essential component of my mental health.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.