Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
https://boards.fool.com/which-party-passed-all-the-tax-cuts-...

"Which party opposed the Affordable Care Act which helps the poor be able to have health care?

Republicans."

I am in full agreement that the Republicans opposed the Affordable Care Act and for the record I feel ACA is President Obama's greatest accomplishment, and a much needed step in the right direction. (With this writer, one will always know his position on an issue - directly and bluntly). Furthermore , I will continue to predict - that one day not too long from now, it will be "Red" states that end up demanding more government administered health care - something that is even to the Left of the Affordable Care act.

Anyhow, in the above quote, the Right Honorable Gentleman or Lady states that the ACA helps the poor to be able to have health care. I'm sure there's instances where one can say that....but overall, that's not true.

The ACA helps the middle class buy health insurance, NO doubt. BUT.....if people are at or below the poverty line--- they actually qualify for Medicare, *not* Affordable Care Act subsidies.

If one goes to HealthCare.GOV, and enters a yearly income that is at or below the poverty line..... they will in fact be told they don't get subsidies from ACA and rather -they will get Medicaid or in the case of kids, CHIP insurance (a fine program that Hillary Clinton helped on )

Let us hope that the wealth gap decreases under Democratic Rule, and that less and less people qualify for Medicaid, and rather qualify for health care subsidies. With the latest relief package..... it's conceivable that households earning $150k-$200k per year will qualify for ACA subsidy.

I'm not sure they are considered 'poor'.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
The ACA helps the middle class buy health insurance, NO doubt. BUT.....if people are at or below the poverty line--- they actually qualify for Medicare, *not* Affordable Care Act subsidies.

If one goes to HealthCare.GOV, and enters a yearly income that is at or below the poverty line..... they will in fact be told they don't get subsidies from ACA and rather -they will get Medicaid or in the case of kids, CHIP insurance (a fine program that Hillary Clinton helped on )

Actually ACA increased Medicaid eligibility so if not for expanded Medicaid, many people would fall into a donut hole of no insurance at all. And, of course some states decided to not accept the federal expansion of Medicaid under ACA and those poor have no subsidized coverage.
Print the post Back To Top