No. of Recommendations: 2
"After a longer while, I realized the investment part was bigger than the savings part. So I invested all of it and closed the savings account. If you are just starting out, you absolutely should have some cash on hand for protection from some unexpected bill. But as you save more and more money, the less and less protective value that cash has. After a while, that cash actually becomes a liability, because that cash drag costs you money. And the less money you have, the less able you are to weather some financial storm"

Also, as you age, the risk of an "emergency" becomes somewhat more limited.
You may still have an issue about healthcare - long-term care type things.
But suddenly - or gradually, you find that the worries are related to "What
would DW do? What might the kids or grandkids or great grandkids need?

Perspectives change quite a lot after you get past the point of "when should
I take Social Security/" and "Is the company going to discontinue the
pension plan?".

The worries about the house repairs and a new auto purchase and redoing the
kitchen become a tad mute.

Howie52
Not there yet by a long shot - but just getting to retirement has shifted
the items that worry me by a bunch.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.