Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Also, I disagree with the notion that the value of your IRA is really significant. When I retired in 2013 at age 68, I had contributed to tax-deferred 401(k)/IRA accounts for 31 years."

Oh, but it really is.

If your IRA balance is 20% of your nest egg.......let's throw out some big round numbers.....

Your IRA balance is 1 million. Your taxable investments are 3 million.

You are 70 years old. The government thinks you'll live less than 20 more years. Maybe you think you'll make 100.

So you use a 30 year SWR. You now have 4 million in assets. You could take $200,000 a year out happily for life. Inflation adjusted. If you use a 20 year SWR, probably $250,000 a year - pretax of course.

The government makes you take about 3.3% or so out of your IRA at 70. Or $33,000 roughly.

That is not even 1/4 of what you probably should be thinking of spending - after taxes of course.

When I retired in 1999, I had only had 10 years or so to contribute to an 401K that I converted to IRA.

t.

If you do the full 4% withdrawal of nest egg to live on, after taxes, you'll still have well over $100,000 in most states in the country after taxes.

Of course it makes a difference of the ratio of tax deferred to non-tax deferred assets!

If you are IRA heavy, even 100%, well, even then, if you believe in the SWR philosophy, for the first ten years, you probably should be spending ALL your RMD. It's under 4% inflation adjusted on your starting balance!

Not that you have to - unless you want to keep piling up assets for Uncle Sam to tax away at your death.

t
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.