Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Also, if someday her interest, dividends, and cap gains DO exceed $700, I can tack on Form 8814 to my own return to pay her taxes, because that is the only income she earns. Right?"

When the child's TOTAL investment income (including any taxable/reportable interest from the savings bonds) exceeds $700, you can use Form 8814 and pay the tax. But if the child is 14 or older, it is probably more beneficial to file a separate return for the child since the income will be taxed at her rate instead of your tax rate.

About the interest on savings bonds, you don't have to recognize that income until the savings bonds are redeemed.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.