Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"And I reiterate no one should change the medical directions prescribed by their doctor without first consulting their doctor. You may be absolutely right about your position on this drug, but no one should substitute this board for the care of their physician.

Fuskie
Who thinks we can all benefit from personal experiences and opinions but has to caution against anyone altering a legal prescription without first consulting their doctor or at least a pharmacist..."

you are really lucky that you have a physician in whom you have such confidence. that is, in my experience, rare. my experience, and that of the few really gifted docs that i have discussed this with, is that most docs don't actually really know much about diabetes. controlling it is not a simple formula and the patients are not generally in good compliance, and so the whole thing is really probably not worth the average physician's serious effort (in their mind). actually, the best thing to do is to not have much confidence in your physician and try to get your head around the problem by understanding it yourself. for type 1, this is actually not too difficult. if you can look at the problem from that level, you can generally take charge of it yourself and at least aggressively pursue your alternatives. take the view that all you need the doc for is his/her signature. especially in the case of type 1, you can generally get to the point where you will know more than the average, probably your, physician and take charge.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.