Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
"Back in medical school, just about all my attendings (teachers) drove home the fact, you don't make a diagnosis over the phone. You have to put your hands on the patients, i.e., you need to see them in person. So many things can be "overlooked" on a phone call. Ditto with computers.Then throw in the first law of computer programming, GIGO, Garbage In Garbage Out. Who will write the algorithms? How extensive? How up to date? Will all the "bugs" be caught before going live? I seriously doubt it." - JLC

-------------------

Besides which people lie. One of the reasons I hate going to the doctor is because the first thing they do is weigh me - which I hate. I don't want to know. But doctors can tell a lot by if you've gained or lost weight. Diabetes, cancer, etc. Any unexplained weight loss or gain is a signal that something has changed.

Fat people are like alcoholics when it comes to hiding their eating habits. They don't want to get caught. They want to continue stuffing their faces with twinkies and barbecue potato chips and ice cream and pizza and large plates of spaghetti.

Sex is another bug-a-boo. People are embarrassed and don't want to tell the doctor about their sex habits, or lack thereof but it too can be a sign that something is wrong.

And who likes to talk about their bowel habits? Yet feces is full of information about the health of the body and the gut and what is going on inside the body. Loose stools, blood, constipation, etc. is a sign on the health of the gut.

And urine? Who wants to talk about the color of their urine, or if it's cloudy, or what or where their genitals have been? Or if they've been in a hot tub and had their genitals pushed up against a jet of water shooting dirty filthy bacteria jaccuzi water up their kah-slop-pus.

It's embarrassing talking about our most intimate aspects of our lives yet that is a large portion of where problems arise. Unless the doctor can form a rapport with the patient and get them to open up and be honest they can't help you.

It is too easy to lie on a computer or over the phone.

Art
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.