Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
"Can a person have too many different stocks? What's a good number? If I were to get a $2000 bonus, should I buy more shares of stocks I already own or should buy new recommended stocks?"

Generally, a person should understand how any company whose stock you own generates earnings
and what risks are involved in that company. As such, there is a limit to how much you
can follow. Reading and understanding company literature can take a large amount of time -
add to that market and research which can become quite technical - and you find difficulty
in regularly following multiple industries or markets. Add in foreign businesses and you
find yourself in the midst of a thundering herd of bison with what might be lions,
hyenas or deer running just over the rise or in a dip.

Also, the more stocks you hold a position in, the closer you come to this or that
ETF or mutual fund or average - and the less benefit you see from an individual company.

Howie52
Enjoy the learning experience.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.