Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
"Charging $300 to diagnose the Check Engine Lamp is excessive. "

No it was $49

The check engine light usually results in a $300 repair bill.

This was the second battery in the car - there's a 'start stop' battery used when the car engine stops at a traffic light, then restarts quickly after you release the brake. Supposed to save you a tenth or two mpg. Manufacturers do it to try to meet the every increasing fleet MPG requirement.

The main battery seems to last me about 4-5 years here.

On the Prius, there's a small gel-cell that craps out every five to seven years, too..... it's used to boot up the computers (4 amps worth) so you can start the car with the 200+ v main battery.

I hate those gel-cells. one in my alarm system for backup. One in the FIOS box for phone service backup. Five to seven years if you are lucky. If there is long power failure they discharge to zero and that's it.....deader than door nail shortly after. no low voltage disconnect to save them.

t.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.