Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 136
I was at Waldenbooks to use a much-appreciated Xmas gift card from a DD. A woman was in front of me, and a 20-something man was in front of her. (Yeah, this is starting off like http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20146509. I assure you it's different.)

The young man pointed to the girlie mags kept behind the counter. I was busy figuring up my gift card total, so I wasn't paying much attention. Why would I pay attention, anyway? His money, his decision, etc. But I did notice the lady in front of me was doing some slow side-to-side headshakes. Then I did look at the counter: a Playboy was disappearing inside a plastic sack.

She half-turned and said, "Imagine! Spending money on that." The corners of her mouth had headed south. Well, to be honest, I didn't have to imagine it. I had tossed quite a few bucks Hugh Hefner's way myself years ago. In front of other people. In front of people who, despite their personal feelings about my choice of "literature," had somehow kept their yaps shut.

The "offender" had headed toward the door, but I knew he'd heard. It was meant for him to hear. And back he came. Woo-Boy, here we go.

Actually, he was quite civil but also quite direct. I also thought he offered much more than he needed to under the circumstances. "I heard what you said. I'm a happily-married man with 2 young boys. I'm making pretty good money and so's my wife. It's not your business what I buy just like it's none of mine what you buy. Think about it next time." Then he gestured toward the counter. "These yours?" She was too taken aback not to nod.

There lay a National Enquirer and some type of horoscope magazine. The young guy smiled grimly, turned, and left the store without comment.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.