Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
"Don't be too wow'd by my short. I made it much higher (it's down 15% since I initiated, maybe 50/50 currency vs. stock effects), and my timeframe is probably different than JD's. We can all win.

But feel free to eat some popcorn and follow along, I'll come back when I close. Last year I was short XFN (financial ETF) but stopped, re-evaluated, and moved to HCG... I may just switch back after some more thinking on the issue... we'll see."

Just an update. I have been slowly moving my buy order up and I was prodded into action by a good samaritan today and decided to close. Seems like one last hurrah happening in Ontario RE... we'll see how it comes out.

Scoreboard for me on this:
1) Short HCG.T @ 48 CAD on Dec 31st
2) Swapped proceeds to USD
3) Repurchased @ <$42.40, and neutralized resulting CAD short position

HCG down 11.5% in CAD, plus CAD was down 10% vs. USD. My portfolio (which I treat short proceeds as proportionally buying, generally, unless it's a pair trade specific short) was up ~10% in the duration. So like a 32% market neutral spread... not sure how folks measure this stuff.

Good funding source at the end, but I think my timing was particularly lucky.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.