No. of Recommendations: 34
I have written a new program that might be helpful to some of you who have spreadsheets that have lost the ability to get quotes from Yahoo. I have called it Yahoo Quotes and the PC version of it can be found in my dropbox at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvpt78def5ageaa/Yahoo%20Quotes%201...

The program is zipped but once unzipped should live together in its folder wherever you want to save it. The folder contains Yahoo Quotes 1.0.exe, Yahoo Quotes Help.txt, Yahoo Quotes.db, Yahoo_Quotes_Main.livecode and a folder called Externals.

Here are the contents of the Yahoo Quotes Help.txt file in case you are interested. Pay attention at the end where it show how you might salvage that spreadsheet that stopped working when Yahoo made changes a few months ago. I am not a licensed developer so you are bound to get cautions from your OS. You just have to trust the source.

Introduction

Yahoo Quotes is a program which extracts stock quotes from the internet. It uses the Yahoo Version 7 API and JSON to get the data. It is a standalone program written in LiveCode and can be compiled to run under the Windows, MacOSX and Unix operating systems. The program is designed to get the data in ways that can easily be incorporated in Excel spreadsheets. It may have uses for people who have spreadsheets that no longer work due recent programming changes made at Yahoo. With this program they have an alternate way to get prices, for example, into their spreadsheets.

Program Layout

The program is quite simple and consists of basically one window with a few buttons (underlined blue text) and one menu called Options. The one window is divided into three sections. The first or leftmost section is designed to contain a list of stock symbols. This list can be edited in multiple ways. The first is by using the '+' or '-' buttons at the bottom of the list for manually adding or deleting stock symbols. Those two options are also accessible in the Options menu and have shortcut keys ctrl-A and Ctrl-D (Cmd if you use a Mac). Once a list is built you may also drag symbols to put them in new positions. Another quick way to establish a list of symbols is simply copy a list from a spreadsheet and then press the 'Symbols ...' button at the top of the list. You then get the option of replacing or adding the contents of the clipboard to the list.

The second section of the window is an alphabetical list of all the fields available in the Version 7 API. By selecting the fields for which you want data, you can tailor the output for the data that is important to you. Simply check or uncheck the desired fields. Beneath this section of field names there are buttons called 'Select All', 'Un-Select All' and 'Select Basic Set'. The third of these choices automatically selects a subset of the full list. There is initially a subset and order set up by default but in the Option menu there is a choice called 'Edit Basic Set' that allows you configure the basic set to have your own personal arrangement of fields.

The third section of the window, at the right, is initially empty and will be filled with the quotes as soon as you click the button at the top of this section called 'Get Quotes'. The resulting data will be in rows matching your symbol list and include the columns of data that that you have chosen in the list of field names. The data is presented in a tabular, LiveCode datagrid which can be quickly sorted by clicking on a column heading. If you need to make a column wider or narrower you simply drag the divider between the column headings.

There is a scrollbar at the bottom of the quote list so you can see the data that is off screen. You can also drag the right side of the window to enlarge the quote results area. Dragging the window from its bottom edge allows resizing the window vertically. It should be noted here that if you sort columns either up or down, the order of the data will no longer match the order in the symbol list. To restore order to match the symbol list simply click 'Get Quotes' to refresh the list.

Now that you have the quotes there are two buttons under that section that help you do something with the data. The buttons are called 'Export Data ...' and 'Copy A Column'. The first asks you whether you want to export the data to a file or to the clipboard. If 'File' is select the data and column headings are saved in a .csv file that you can name and locate. If 'Clibpoard' is chosen you are asked how you want the data formatted. You have choices for 'Comma', 'Tab' and 'Fool'. The latter formats the data for pasting directly into the Motley Fool. The last question asks whether or not you want to include the headings in the clipboard data.

The button called 'Copy A Column' will copy a single column's worth of data excluding the heading. If 'Copy A Column' is chosen, a dialog comes up for you to identify the column you want to copy. A click on the column name and a click on the 'OK' button will place the data (excluding the heading) in the clipboard for pasting elsewhere. A shortcut for getting the column in the clipboard is just to double-click the column name.

It is this last option which may make this a useful tool for some people. Judging by the number of posts I have seen in the last few months there are a number of people that have spreadsheets for getting stock quotes and those spread sheets no longer worked after Yahoo changed their methods for getting quote information. With this tool it may now be possible to use those spreadsheets again.

Assuming your spread sheet has a column of symbols and a column of price quotes, here is a simple scenario for making it useful again:
1. Open your spreadsheet and this program.
2. Drag through the list of symbols on your spreadsheet and copy them. Do not include the heading.
3. Paste the data into this program using the button called 'Symbols ...' at the top of this program's symbol list. Use 'Replace' so that the list contains exactly those symbols as arranged on your spreadsheet.
4. Check the Yahoo Field Names list to make sure that at least 'regukarMarketPrice' is checked. (Unless the basic set has been edited it should already be checked.)
5. Press the button 'Get Quotes'. This should retrieve new data.
6. Press the button 'Copy A Column' and select 'regularMarketPrice'.
7. Go back to your spreadsheet and paste into the first cell of the price quotes column. If you are pasting into Macintosh Excel use 'Paste Special/Text'.
8. The spreadsheet should take over from there and you should have updated results.

Larry
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have written a new program that might be helpful to some of you who have spreadsheets that have lost the ability to get quotes from Yahoo. I have called it Yahoo Quotes and the PC version of it can be found in my dropbox at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvpt78def5ageaa/Yahoo%20Quotes%201......

Awesome! I will give it a try.

Elan
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvpt78def5ageaa/Yahoo%20Quotes%201.........

I've downloaded and tried it. As always, your contributions are greatly appreciated.
However, I was hoping for something different. I'd like to get historic closing price quotes for a list of stocks, covering a date range of up to one year. It seems that your tools fetches only the latest price quotes, and multiple other data fields. The historic Yahoo price quote feature in Robbie's options spreadsheet is broken. His historic quotes from Nasdaq still work, kinda.

Elan
Elan,

Do you have a link or a copy of Robbie's spreadsheet you could send me so I can see what you are describing?

Larry
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hopefully, someone can make this work with https://sourceforge.net/projects/preferredsearch/
Fingers crossed.
No. of Recommendations: 11
I'd like to get historic closing price quotes for a list of stocks, covering a date range of up to one year.
Perhaps this works for you then ...
http://finance.jasonstrimpel.com/bulk-stock-download/
Seems to work like a charm-
Have been waiting for a long time for
something like this to appear.
Easy to use.
Thanks for finding it.
Will donate to this one...

tpoto

I'd like to get historic closing price quotes for a list of stocks, covering a date range of up to one year.
Perhaps this works for you then ...

Great! I'll give it a try.

Thank you,
Elan
No. of Recommendations: 4
Found some data problems with that site/program
that I thought was a gold mine.....

So when you pull down some data
visually check it -
looks like the decimal point is off.
While this example shows the error in
one particular month, there were others in different dates.

Date 	         FSCHX 	 FSPHX 	 FSPTX 	 FSRPX 
 2017-05-01 	 12.65 	 18.89 	 12.84 	 11.28 
 2017-04-01 	 12.43 	 19.18 	 11.69 	 11.18 
 2017-03-01 	 12.96 	 18.63 	 11.57 	 10.90 
 2017-02-01 	 12.73 	 18.74 	 11.12 	 10.71 
 2017-01-01 	 12.20 	 17.48 	 10.56 	 10.42 
 2016-12-01 	 118.27	 166.17	 98.40 	 104.09 
 2016-11-01 	 11.53 	 16.59 	 9.77 	 10.15 
 2016-10-01 	 10.59 	 16.47 	 9.94 	 9.91 
 2016-09-01 	 10.75 	 18.09 	 10.07 	 10.16 
 2016-08-01 	 10.91 	 18.02 	 9.75 	 10.13
No. of Recommendations: 2
Found some data problems with that site/program
that I thought was a gold mine.....

When I looked at the historical quotes for FSCHX on Yahoo, the problem is with Yahoo.

Date Open High Low Close* Adj Close**
Dec 01, 2016 15.36 157.91 14.74 157.91 118.27

There was a 1/10 Stock Split on Aug 10, 2018. It appears some data didn't get adjusted for that. There are sporadic numbers that are 10 times the other data on the line.
Hopefully, someone can make this work with https://sourceforge.net/projects/preferredsearch/
Fingers crossed.

Agreed. I emailed him and offered to show him how to modify the download code, but he said he didn't want to do it. I have his source code, but it's in a language I don't know. For somebody who knows it, it should be a very easy fix.
What code is it written in? Maybe I can find someone in a user group that might be interested in giving a crack at it.
What code is it written in? Maybe I can find someone in a user group that might be interested in giving a crack at it.

Maybe quote some of the post you are responding to, so people know what you're talking about?

We just got back from a cruise, so I've not read anything on TMF for a couple of weeks.....so my mond is empty....the most current memory I have that might be on-topic is maybe about preferredsearch?

If so, it's written in python. Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/preferredsearch/files/prefe...

Preferred Stock Search Application

Was a bummer that he abandoned it. It should be an easy fix if you know python. (I don't and also don't have any interest in learning it.)
post 274140 Date: 5/20/2019 5:18 PM
Agreed. I emailed him and offered to show him how to modify the download code, but he said he didn't want to do it. I have his source code, but it's in a language I don't know. For somebody who knows it, it should be a very easy fix.

Maybe quote some of the post you are responding to, so people know what you're talking about?

We just got back from a cruise, so I've not read anything on TMF for a couple of weeks.....so my mond is empty....the most current memory I have that might be on-topic is maybe about preferredsearch?

If so, it's written in python. Source code: https://sourceforge.net/projects/preferredsearch/files/prefe......

Preferred Stock Search Application

Was a bummer that he abandoned it. It should be an easy fix if you know python. (I don't and also don't have any interest in learning it.)
No. of Recommendations: 6

I've been looking for an excuse to learn Python. I've had some close brushes with it recently but only in the Hello World level of complexity.

I have a house to build by after that (couple months?) I'm going to take a look at this and see what can be done.

I just dropped by today to see the balloons. 22 years a Fool today! So much water over the bridge.
Python for Informatics: Exploring Information https://www.amazon.com/dp/1492339245/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BC...

I believe you can get the Kindle Book and the Apple book for free.

It may still be. I have the free one for 2.7 the new one is for 3.0. The Apple version had lectures in the book. Image the Kindle version does too.

https://www.py4e.com/book

Also he has a decent and inexpensive course on Coursera.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/python

I enjoyed the course. It was not as rigorous as R Programming nor the as tough as Harvard CS50 via EDx. I have not finished the R programming or the CS 50. For anyone that want to be awesome in all types of programming I highly recommend CS50. Be warned, it is tough. But probably the best course on the internet.

Cheers
Qazulight
I just dropped by today to see the balloons. 22 years a Fool today!

Congratulations!

So much water over the bridge.

Most bridges have water under them. Are you in that much trouble? :-)

Elan
Most bridges have water under them.

True, but I saw a bridge over the Delaware River in Lackawaxen, PA, where there is very old suspension bridge. Roebling built it (before he did the Brooklyn Bridge) to carry a canal over the river. It is no longer used for a canal, but now carries a one-lane road over the river. Traffic is two-way, with traffic lights arranged so one goes only in one direction for a while, then in the other direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roebling%27s_Delaware_Aqueduct...
No. of Recommendations: 9
Most bridges have water under them. Are you in that much trouble? :-)

I have stories. For one, I've been technically homeless for 12.5 months now. Couch surfing here and there. But now I have a foundation (as in a physical, structure sense). As of today I have a well WITH water and I can now admit how much the idea of a dry hole scared me. And I have a house kit (http://firstdaycottage.com) that has been waiting for me on site since fall. Soon, very soon.
No. of Recommendations: 6
And I have a house kit (http://firstdaycottage.com) that has been waiting for me on site since fall.

Wow wow wow. That takes dedication. I helped my Dad build an A-frame cabin in the mountains above Boulder, Colo. when I was in college. When he was done, he said that he wished he had paid a professional builder to do it. It took just about every weekend for 2 years. And when they put in the well, the idiot (his words) installing the pump didn't tie off the rope, so the pump & rope fell in the well and they couldn't fish it out so they had to cap it and drill ANOTHER well.

I like that they stress over and over again that it takes a lot of effort and time to build the house.

Not so happy that they talk about the equity you'll be building. Nope. You get equity only if you can sell it. And you aren't likely to be able to sell it. A "normal" person is going to want a normal house. The type of person who would go for a firstdaycottage is going to want to build their own.

Not sure about their cost estimates, though. $33/sqft for materials and $33/sqft for plumbing, etc. comes to $66. Costs always run higher than estimates, so true cost is likely pushing $90. Around here, you can have a basic house built for $90-$100/sqft. It would probably be more if it was out in the boonies--where one of these would probably go. Oh..and they go from bare dirt to move-in condition in about 3-4 months. Not cool wood walls, though---sheetrock.

1000 manhours to build. (Probably more like 2000, but whatever....) Based on a 1000 sqft house that's 1 MH/sf. If you value your time at $10/hr, that comes to 33+33+10 = $76/sf to $86/sf.

I _hate_ running the math on these kinds of things.
[Some sources to learn Python]

Python's a fairly straightforward language, and the available documentation at https://www.python.org/doc/ is good. If you have any programming experience at all, I don't think a course or a book is necessary to get you to the point where you're writing pretty sophisticated Python, and way more than enough to make a simple change in an existing program.

Brian
Python's a fairly straightforward language, .. If you have any programming experience at all, I don't think a course or a book is necessary to get you to the point where you're writing pretty sophisticated Python, and way more than enough to make a simple change in an existing program.

Yeah, that was my impression. That's why I was puzzled why he wouldn't make that simple change. After all, after yahoo made the change there was soon many examples of how to get around the (laughably weak) restriction. When I was googling it, I found plenty of python examples before I finally found a bash script (curl) example, which was what I needed.
I think that he had just lost interest in it and didn't care enough to put in the effort.

Goes to show how shallow the interest is in this entire approach to investing. Along, for example, with the decline in the activity on several of the TMF investing boards. And what happened with the DGI (dividend growth investing) group when Dave Fish--the guy who posted a monthly Dividend Champions spreadsheet--died.
Python's a fairly straightforward language, .. If you have any programming experience at all, I don't think a course or a book is necessary to get you to the point where you're writing pretty sophisticated Python, and way more than enough to make a simple change in an existing program.

- Just about every software tool out there supports some form of Python nowadays and plenty of people have the knowledge, so yea they just aren't interested enough to make it work.
If you have any programming experience at all, I don't think a course or a book is necessary ...

I think that it will be about my 27th language, with a sufficiently loose definition of "language". Is JPL a language? Or, for that matter, EXEC-8?

My favorite way to learn a language is to look at other people's code and use a manual.
That $30/ft estimate is old. They are not big on keeping their site up to date. Now it's around $60. The kit itself came to about $47/ft. I had to put in the foundation and I have to buy the wiring and plumbing. I don't have all the figures yet but I think $90/ft might not be far off.

If we do a good, not-schlock job, I don't think it would be hard to sell this house here.

In fact, I have a plot that I can split off. I'm thinking of building another when I am done! If one is actually ever done with a house one builds for one's self.
I'm thinking of building another when I am done! If one is actually ever done with a house one builds for one's self.

I have built 2 houses. "Built" in the sense that I designed it and hired a general contractor to do the physical work.

Our current house, every once in a while I say "Next house, I'll do {this} differently." When my wife hears that, she says, "Have fun. *MY* next house will be where the hearse takes me."
No. of Recommendations: 7
*MY* next house will be where the hearse takes me.

I was like her. I was done with moving. They are going to carry me out of this house. Next Friday marks 3 years since they carried HER out of the house we'd been in for 30 years. I had to do something, something different. So I sold the house and embarked on this adventure. I'd always wanted to build a house, me, personally, as much as I can. I'm building stronger bonds with old friends and with family, without whom this would be impossible, and I'm making new friends. Building a home and a whole new life.
I'm on my 3rd cross country move (MD-AZ-MD-AZ) in the last 16 years. No one else in my family has really moved anywhere, especially on my mother's side of the family.

I have to say it gets harder as you get older. I don't mean the physical part of it (fortunately I've had packers/movers do most things for me) but the emotional part. While I've never cared for the weather, traffic, cost of living in MD, it is still home to me and I have my father, my brother's family that includes my 15 yr old nephew (never had kids of my own) in MD. I just really enjoyed my time in Scottsdale and feel more comfortable, relaxed there.

My girlfriend can't move east since she spends a lot of time helping her 90 yr old mother and MD is just too far away. Fortunately I'm returning to a house that I've never sold (been renting since 2011) and to a company and manager I've worked for before although I'm giving up a safe government job back east. I'm planning to retire in 3.5 years.

And now I can understand why some people just don't want to move to better weather, lower taxes, because they don't want to leave family.

The thought of actually building a house sounds exciting but too many hassles for me. I'd rather go the fixer upper route.

Rich