Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This past month, I bought "How to Pay Zero Taxes 2001 Edition" by Jeff A. Schnepper. On page 25, it states under the heading "Expenses of Your Employer" that "The law does not tax reimbursement expenses that are true reimbursements for expenses of your employer rather than income amounts truly compensatory in nature." Further, "Under this category are such items as reimbursements for cab fares and the payment of supper money. Rather than being excludable on the basis of statutory or constitutional language, these items are truly nontaxable as the result of the Internal Revenue Service recognition of the impossible administrative verification problems in auditing such expenses."

Does this mean that all business related expenses I incurred last year (such as hotel, airfare, training, meals, etc.) that my employer reimbursed are not taxable? If so, where do I note this on my taxes? Right on my 1040? Or do I need an additional form?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.